Today, great scientists, businessmen and futurologists deal with the analysis of trends. Observing the trends allows you to prepare for the upcoming changes – use them to your advantage or protect yourself against their negative effects.
Studying trends touches many levels of our existence. Social, cultural, economic and architectural trends are examined. Among them, observation of technological trends is of particular importance. A special one, because today – as never before – technology has an extremely strong impact on all other aspects of human life.
The analysis of technological trends deal with, among others industry media, scientific institutes or large consulting companies. The unit particularly specializing in this type of research is the Gartner Institute (https://www.gartner.com/en). Each year, this institute publishes 10 key technology trends. Those defined for 2018 are not surprising: artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things, cyber security are phenomena whose significance for the economy is growing. The Gartner Institute put them in the following way:
- The development of artificial intelligence. 59% of the institutions surveyed collect data to build their own AI (Artificial Intelligence) systems. Artificial intelligence is to become the foundation of decision-making processes in enterprises.
- Intelligent applications and analytics – and therefore the importance of AI continued. The Garner Institute predicts that artificial intelligence will soon be used in every application, creating a new relationship between the user and the system. The associated extended analytics will allow systems to learn to automatically prepare user and user data.
- Intelligent Items. Gartner predicts the rapid development of the device market, which, thanks to the use of artificial intelligence and learning skills, will interact more and more intelligently with people. Autonomous cars, cameras, vacuum cleaners – these are just a few examples of such devices. This phenomenon is favored by the number of devices connected to the Internet (so-called Internet of Things).
- Digital twins. Creating a digital equivalent, working in real device, will allow you to perform many simulations of the latter, improve its management and its repair in real time. For example, a device working in the depths or in space, will have its counterpart in the command center.
- Edge computing is an approach based on the fact that information can be collected and processed as close to its source as possible. This will shorten analytical and decision-making processes.
- Communication platforms. Gartner forecasts the intensive development of platforms enabling the exchange of information between the user and the computer. The system will not only be able to answer simple questions (e.g. about weather), but also carry out searches and actions on its behalf (e.g. finding and booking a hotel for the weekend).
- The development of virtual reality and augmented reality (Augmented Reality) will increase the user’s need to interact with them and use the digital experiences available in this way. The meaning of mixed reality will also increase, where the user experience will be based on both digital and real (physical) perception.
- Blockchain, thanks to its decentralized and dispersed blocks of information, will go beyond the cryptocurrency market and begin to attract those market sectors where information and commercial transactions are exchanged between untrusted participants, e.g. in health care or supply chains.
- Event management. Marketing of many industries is directed towards quick identification of important digital events (e.g. launching applications, placing orders) and immediate reaction to them. Technologies are to enable and accelerate these processes.
- The growing importance of digitization in running a business reinforces the need to protect data and processes. This is to be achieved by CARTA (Continuous Adaptive Risk and Trust Assessment) solutions consisting of constant monitoring, response and improvement of actions aimed at improving security.
Awareness of trends allows you to prepare for upcoming changes and find market opportunities for yourself. It is worth looking at your company and its technological solutions in terms of the trends listed here. Will our company remain on the market in five years without adapting to these changes? Will new competitors appear? Or maybe it is us who will outclass our rivals?